Fire Jumping is Tonight!
Are you ready to jump over some fire tonight?
Norooz (Persian new year) is only a week away! So tonight is the chahar shanbe sooree celebration, which falls on the last Tuesday night before the spring equinox.
Things to do tonight:
- Make a giant fire in a safe location (it actually doesn't have to be giant, just big enough that you can jump over it).
- Think about all the past year's resentments, regrets, unfinished business.
- Jump over the fire and purge yourself of all the negativity of the past year.
- Let the fire rejuvenate and renew your spirit. Replace all the negativity with the positive vitality and rigor of the fire.
- If you have any physical ailments or sickness from the past year, give these to the fire as well- let the fire heal you emotionally and spiritually.
- Say the phrase: sorkheeye man az to, zardeeye to az man. Meaning, I give you my yellowness (my sickness, negativitey etc), you give me your redness (health, etc.)
Over the next week:
- Clean your entire house! Khooneh takoonee- or shaking of the house- is what we call spring cleaning here in the west. Get in all those nooks and crannies!
- Sprout your sabzeh- wheatgrass. Get those wheatgrass seeds out and start sprouting! You'll need this for your sofreyeh haftseen next week.
Check what time the spring equinox is where you live- it happens at the same exact moment everywhere on earth, so we will all be celebrating together! For us here in Texas, it's at 11:15 am on Tuesday, March 20.